Monday 29 October 2012

Wolf Guard Terminator: WIP

If I were you, I'd run.

I seem to be on a bit of a Terminator fixation lately. Oh well: here's another for you anyway. Let me introduce Varungr Hellblade, Wolf Guard to my Wolf Lord Rikkard.

Now, I'll confess from the start: I meant to make his chainblade big ... but perhaps this is a little too big!



The mantra for this model was 'aggression'. This is a guy who wields a 10 foot long chainsword so there had to be no messing around with this one. The aim was to make him look like he was charging forward into the enemy with his shield raised in front of him to deflect incoming fire.

The giant chainsword is actually made of four regular marine chainswords. To neaten things up, a thin piece of plasticard was placed over to form a casing.


In the above image, the red lines represent the approximate positions of the four chansword blades I used. The teeth were cut off of one side, and then they are all trimmed to fit and glued together. A few chainsword teeth were carefully trimmed off the offcuts to fill in any gaps in the chain of teeth. Looking closely, the teeth are no regular, but hopefully when painted and looked at from less close up it won't be noticeable.

The blue circle shows that there are two motor exhaust vents. I had to trim and combine two chainsword motors to provide the blade with a wide enough mounting. I needed to have a longer handle for this sword to keep things in proportion. The handle from the axe in the Wolf Guard Terminator kit worked perfectly, and it had a Terminator hand built right on ready to go.

So this is about the craziest model I've ever made. He certainly draws attention to himself, and I'm really looking forward to getting some paint on him.

As always, all comments and questions are welcome. Have you ever made a crazy big weapon for a model? Is he making up for something? Let me know below.

5 comments:

  1. I think his chainsword is a wee bit too long, but he definitely ticks the "aggression" box, so kudos for that!

    Looking forward to seeing both paint and the rest of your psychotic Terminators ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it turned out much bigger than I expected. My plan now is to try not to make the sword too bright when painting to draw the eye away from it a little.

      Delete
  2. I don't think its too big. When terminators carry around huge hammers and missile racks, it's not that surprising that they'd have a HUGE chainsword. I think this is a great idea. (I may do something like this in the future).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've almost finished painting this guy now (pictures soon I promise ... ) and having painted the sword black, it's not quite so impactful on the eye. Though you still can't fail to miss it!

      I'll keep my eye on your blog for some giant chainswords then!

      Delete
    2. If I do it, it will be a while from now. I just have one box of Grey Hunters, and Thunderwolf cavalry. After I get a few of the basic troops ready, I'll get a box of terminators!

      Delete